Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday ~ Coasters

I was given some "Vintage" fabric squares that my 94 year old Grandmother had. I really wanted to make something for me with the fabric. I just love the vintage look this fabric has. So I decided to make some fall coasters to use.
                           
To get started you will need some supplies. Here's what I used:

Tile squares ( I bought these at Home Depot....you can use any kind)
Fabric
Mod Podge
Foam or paint brush
Scissors
Pencil
Can of Sealer
Okay I think that's all you will need....so what do you say...let's get started!



STEP 1: (Get things ready)
Get all supplies near.

Wipe off your tile with rag and get your fabric of choice out and turn face down.

STEP 2: (Trace and Cut)
Place tile on fabric and trace around the tile.



Then once traced cut just inside the square.


Once cut out place on top of tile to see if you like the fit...you may have to cut a little more until you get it like you like it.


STEP 3 (Glue down)
Now is the fun part. Take your brush and dip into your glue and spread over tile.
(I use a good amount....and it dries clear too)


STEP 4: (Fabric square on tile)
Now take your fabric square and place on glue covered tile, and smooth out. Let dry for 30 minutes to an hour.


Step 5: (Glue some more)
Once dry brush on a layer of glue on top of fabric, making sure you get the edges too.



Let dry a hour or so and then add more layers letting them dry in between. I normally put about three good layers.

Step 6: (Sealer)
After I am done I will spray a thin layer of spray sealer on the tile. Then on back of tile I will glue little felt pads on to protect the furniture.



I hope you like the Coaster tutorial!

Please don't place in dishwasher....to clean just take a wet cloth and squeeze out the water and take damp cloth and wipe off.

Let the fun began! Make a few for your Friends for gifts too...
You can also use Holiday fabrics or card stock too. If you make some please let me know, I would love to see them.

No comments: